Sunday, July 6, 2014

Tanbark!

Well it's been a minute hasn't it?

I've been busy! That adult life just kinda crept up on me and hasn't let go.

I went to Springfield to watch some of Midwest Charity.

I've worked.

And last week I was just getting home from Tanbark! My first show of the year! So let's do a recap on that show:

I put a lot of pressure on myself for that show. I wanted to get qualified to head to Nationals in St. Louis this year in September. So we went into our first class and I psyched myself out. I pushed too hard during the extended trot and we broke. My bad. It was only a few strides but the other horses in that class made no mistakes- it was a great class. I also let Buzz anticipate the canter and get ahead of me and I didn't give him a clear cue and we took the wrong lead. Again, totally my fault. I can admit when I blow a class. Buzz had flawless manners during his halts and backs which, out of everything, was what I was the most worried about. So no ribbon out of 7 in that class, and we didn't deserve a ribbon.

Friday morning was like a total flip. Everything was perfect (aside from me almost keeling over from the heat). Our halts, backs, extensions, and transitions were perfect. I could have been better about sitting up and completing the picture but oh man. You know when you have one of those rides you just feel good about while you're doing it? That was this class. Everything just felt easy. We came in 2nd out of 6 with a 1st place vote! I was ecstatic!

Only downside of that class was that when I turned to go into the line-up Buzz seemed to take a misstep and felt weird leaving the ring. I kinda thought he had just taken a misstep and would walk it off. Well the next day heading into the class he felt okay but I would ask for an extension at the trot and he felt all kinds of off and had no go forward. It was also very humid in the ring and his asthma kicked in so the heaving coughs started up (since he can't have his inhalers at shows). Yet again, his manners were perfect, there was nothing I could do to improve the ride we had.

I realized how hard he was willing to try for me in that class. He was pushing so hard and trying so hard to do what I was asking but he just couldn't do it. There was no bit chewing or ear pinning or any funny business happening. I could ask no more from him. He made me so proud with how hard he tried. In the end, we got 7th out of 7. I was more bummed that he wasn't at 100% than I was with the ribbon. Turns out he strained a muscle somehow. He's been on stall rest and is all healed up again but typical that something would happen at a show.

I did achieve my goal even through all the chaos. We qualified for St. Louis Nationals. I've been saving up since the beginning of the year to make it back there. If I have my way, we'll be going

So happy with that ride!

Self, sit up!

S&B Reserve Champions!!!

Out for a cool down walk!

Extended trot!



Thanks Kris and Jen for the pictures of Buzz and I!

No comments:

Post a Comment